Our adoption journey

This is our journey to adopt our son who has Achondroplasia, the most common form of short stature/dwarfism and lives a half a world away. He has been waiting so long and we are unbelievably humbled to answer God's call. "Here we are Lord! Please lead the way."
John 14:18 "I will not abandon you as orphans, I will come to you."

Sunday, July 1, 2012

7/1 -more Holy Spirit news at work!!

You will never believe how this day started!!??!! Another HUGE breakfast buffet!!  It is our biggest meal of the day and we have the day to work it off...Plus the fact that it is included, want to get my biggest bang for the buck!!  My agency said before we left I should budget $5-20 American dollars per person, per meal!! YIKES!!  That could be $180 per day! That is not the way I fly!! We RARELY go out to eat so this is what is making me crazy the most.  It is temporary so all is good!!

We met our group in the lobby at 9:30 to go on our first tour to the "Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qing_Dynasty
I apologize for posting a link, but I just can't explain it...I am tired this evening and want to be sure I get this next part of our day posted! It is awesome!!!



The visit lasted about 40 minutes or so.  I told our group the last night at dinner that our plans were to go to church this morning.  I NEEDED IT!!  WE ALL NEEDED IT!!! I had been told about this church on Shamian Island and have been planning to go ever since we found out we were adopting Michael!!
We unloaded the van on the island at about 10:35 am. Everyone else was going shopping or to a park, but Mason, Michael and I headed down the street and turned right.  Just a little bit further and we were there.  The earlier service was still in, so there were many people inside and many people outside. We got out of the sun and waited for the service to conclude.  It is a non-denominational church.  Someone had commented about me finding a church that would "suit" me here...I said if they are worshipping God then that suits me just fine!
I took several pictures before entering the church. I texted Matt a picture of the cross to let him know we were there and ready to begin the teaching of Jesus to Michael.  I had already asked him on the translator if he had been to church,  if knew who Jesus was, did he know He died on the cross for our sins so we could have eternal life?? He said he knew all these things!! This was not accurate in the least.


Michael listened intently...Mason and I tried to understand all that was being translated, but with a heavy accent , it was difficult, but not impossible. We received the message and heard what we needed to hear! 
The reading was this...
John 14:16-26
16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be[a] in you. 18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19 Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20 On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21 Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”
22 Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, “But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?”
23 Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. 24 Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.

One of my favorites since entering into this adoption...I will not leave you as orphans, I will come to you...He has come to me, He is the reason we have come to Michael!!  Oh my goodness, when I saw what they were going to read and then heard it in English, I cried happy tears that I get to be here right now!! That I get to bring this little boy home with me. He is giving so much to us!! Thank you God for all that you have arranged on our behalf. Thank you for allowing others to pitch in and help!
I prayed we would have communion today, we did. I prayed that something would reach out and grab Michael. I knew he wouldn't say, "sign me up today!" but this is a beginning. He was singing and reading along with them in Mandarin...He seemed to enjoy the message. The sermon was on the Holy Spirit! It was riverting! The choir was amazing! Mason thoroughly enjoyed it and also said they were amazing.

At the end of the service one of the pastors said, "If you have any questions, please see on e of us after the service...I told Mason I had to talk to someone...I had to see what Michael knows at this point in his life...I found a nice young woman to talk with and she said  let's go to the pastor's house...We walked around back and found one of the pastors. I have no idea who he was, but he was eagar to help. So I told him I needed to know what he knows and I needed him to tell Michael about Jesus. Not that Michael was going to get it today, but that he will get it one day...we have to have the framework.

We then went into a room upstairs. The woman came with us to translate for me. She was precious. So sweet and had Jesus written all over her face!  We found out that Michael didn't know Jesus. He had been to a church once, and I guess it was for a Christmas Party and they were at a playground...who knows??!!  Anyway, the pastor told Michael that he was going to talk to him for 5 minutes about a man named Jesus. Michael listened and asked "why did Jesus die?" He was curious about the nails in his hands and feet.  I believe it was a lot for him to take in, but I think it got some ideas floating around in his head.  I cried several times during the morning and early afternoon as a result of going to church and learning what he knows, which is nothing...I am almost relieved that he knows nothing and I don't have to change his mind about something like Buddha...I told the pastor we were there because I wanted Michael to experience this in his country and in his langague for the first time. I didn't want him to feel like he was being forced into something that was an "American" thing... I want him to know God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit and have eternal life...The seed is planted and we have no where to go but up!!




Thanks be to God!!!