Our adoption journey

This is our journey to adopt our son who has Achondroplasia, the most common form of short stature/dwarfism and lives a half a world away. He has been waiting so long and we are unbelievably humbled to answer God's call. "Here we are Lord! Please lead the way."
John 14:18 "I will not abandon you as orphans, I will come to you."

Sunday, July 1, 2012

First airplane ride, Guangzhou

We arrived at the airport around 1pm Friday for out 2:25 flight...checked our bags and went through security...they wanted to see his adoption registration to be sure that I was the momma!!  There is a picture of the 2 of us on the form...We looked around for some vittles, but nothing seemed to be appealing to any of us. The boys got a soda and we sat and waited at our gate B01...some time went by, and the plane was still not at the gate by 2pm.  I wondered if they gave us the wrong gate number...we heard the announcements for Guangzhou, B07 was now boarding!!!  Michael perked his ears up and said, "Mommy, Guangzhou!!"  and pointed down to the other end of the concourse! It was hilarious. We had plenty of time thankfully!






The flight was great. They gave us peanuts and water, which they gobbled up quickly. Mason typed on the translator "Michael you can have fun, just don't scream!" Michael's response to everything is a quick, "yes" with a nod of his head, unless his answer is "no" and then he shakes it...It is hilarious...He understood not to scream like he did the first time in the pool!  He has such a great personality...looking forward to more English language coming out of his
We exited the plane a few minutes before schedule, following the signs for arrivals/baggage claim...We knew we were close to the claim area, but I guess Michael heard a question in my voice...he ran over to a lady at the airport and asked her where we get our bags...I already knew, but then he thanked her and said, "Mommy!' and pointed down the escalator. What a confident boy he is!!  When we got to the carousel, it was then that he decided it was time to visit the bathroom.  I asked and gestured if he could wait, he shook his head NO!  He ran over to a counter, standing on his tiptoes and asked someone where the bathroom was...oh my goodness, the woman pointed clear across to the other side!!! He took off in a sprint, and Mason stayed at the baggage claim, funny how I feel safer here than in my own country!! Michael got halfway there and then said, "Mommy" and pointed to his backpack. I took it from him and then he was able to run even faster! He escaped me and I couldn't keep up with him with my 5000 pound backpack!!!!  He was in and out very quickly and then was breathing very heavily and walking a bit slower back to Mason...He is going to do well on the soccer field!!  (he starts at the end of August!!)
We gathered our bags and then went to where people would be holding signs for the people they are picking up...I couldn't remember what my sheet said about where to meet my guide. I got the sheet out of my bag, and it just said, "meet guide at airport." it did not say WHERE!!  Then a few minutes later, I heard, "MARY MARY!!"  It was Elsie our guide. Her driver had been in bad traffic getting there, but all was well. We loaded everything and off we went...there was a little chatting and then she said, "Typhoon coming!" WHAT???? I was not sure about that statement and really was concerned, since I really had no idea where it was coming from and how close we are to the coast...She said it would be a lot of wind and rain!  It's been fine, some wind and some rain, but not all day! It has helped with the heat.  It is very hot here, although the breezes by the pool are exhilerating...So we had been in the van about 5 minutes and then she Elsie said, "Oh, I forgot other family, we go back, I get other driver, this driver take you to hotel." WHAT??!! YIKES!! I have no idea where we are or where we are going!!  It was fine, we made it here safely, got checked in unloaded in our room...
THIS PLACE IS AMAZING!!! I have stayed a couple of times at the Ritz (several years ago), but this is crazy nice! Sure wish my husband and Morgan and Maddox!!  Everything is beyond top notch! Guess what we had for dinner??!! MCDONALDS!! Oh my gosh!! I AM OVER IT!  I care not to see another McDonald's for a very long time!!  I shouldn't have said that, I apologize.  Although I don't agree with the amount of fat in their menu items, it is an excellent company that does amazing outreach...a little tv and showers and night night...it was a busy day!!
Thankful for safe travel thus far and the many, many answered prayers!!
Under the escalator

STEP AWAY FROM THE RED VELVET ROPE!!

THAT IS A SERIOUS PLANTER!!

THE RECEPTION COUNTER