Our adoption journey

This is our journey to adopt our son who has Achondroplasia, the most common form of short stature/dwarfism and lives a half a world away. He has been waiting so long and we are unbelievably humbled to answer God's call. "Here we are Lord! Please lead the way."
John 14:18 "I will not abandon you as orphans, I will come to you."

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Leaving Wuhan behind...but still in his heart...

I thought I would sleep better, staying up later on Thursday night...that was not to be, it just made for a more tired momma! Packing, re-packing, overanalyzing, STUFF!  Michael's foster mom gave him some more things during our visit... a Mickey Mouse backpack & some more snacks. She had already loaded him up with comfort food Monday morning when he left their home. I suppose she felt the need to make sure he would have his favorite things. We will continue to pray for her comfort and peace. Her sweet face will forever be etched in my mind. She had soft, pale skin, just like my mother-in- law, Margie, one of the sweetest women I have ever met...She told me I was so beautiful, I expressed the same back to her as I touched her cheek...she so reminded me of Margie, who has been slowly disappearing to the dreaded disease Alzheimer's. Matt took pictures of us over to her house and showed her and her husband Bill. Bill, who has had a stroke, was very excited. She had tears, although she is unsure of everything happening around her. Matt explained that Michael is our new son trying to reassure her that she shouldn't remember him, because she has not met him. Bless her heart, she is in there somewhere, but her recall is almost nothing at this point...

Friday began with another big breakfast buffet. Michael does not appear that he is going to have any food issues once we get back home.  He is a very good eater and likes just about everything!! He has a good sense of humor and is extremely confident. 

We got back to the room and a bit later Michelle called. She explained that in Wuhan we would have to go back to the Civil Affairs office for his passport to be issued. Normally the guide can take of it, but we had to go.  This was certainly not an issue for me, I just wanted to be sure we could get there and back in plenty of time to get my suitcases closed and head to the airport!!
The Civil Affairs office was very brief. We went over some documents, and she gave me his passport!!! It is official, Michael can now leave with me and Mason and head to Guangzhou!!! 

I explained to Michael through the electronic translator what we were doing and he was excited! He of course has never been on an airplane.  On the way to the airport I was watching him...I wondered what was going on in that head of his, he looked deep in thought on many occassions during the drive...what are his thoughts, does he really understand what "leaving" really means?? He can't understand, how could he, he is just a child?  I believe he does understand...He is ready, I know he is, I can feel that he is, and in this I am so incredibly thankful for this gift that God placed him in my heart and now in my family! Thanks be to God forever and ever!

Jeremiah 29:11

 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.


Leaving Wuhan


Last look, moving ahead...


I will have this bridge etched in my mind forever. Each time we approached it this week, Michael always wanted me to take a picture!! He would point and say "MOMMY!"