Our adoption journey

This is our journey to adopt our son who has Achondroplasia, the most common form of short stature/dwarfism and lives a half a world away. He has been waiting so long and we are unbelievably humbled to answer God's call. "Here we are Lord! Please lead the way."
John 14:18 "I will not abandon you as orphans, I will come to you."

Friday, November 4, 2011

October 19th & 20th - adoption training...

Oct 19th and 20th - completed all my coursework online in regards to international adoption - "Conspicuous Families" which is about being a multi-cultural family. Our child is not an adopted child, WE ARE AN ADOPTIVE FAMILY.

"China - Language, Festivals and Traditions" - I learned about different festivals and traditions that I was unaware of, and plan to incorporate these into our family

"The Journey of Attachment," - this can prove to be a huge challenge for the entire family...By the time Michael Stephen XueFa comes to our family, this will be the 4th or 5th place he has lived. He has never had his own ANYTHING!!! From what I have read he is very adaptable, very kind and empathetic, "He knows how to treat people", BUT he has also been around people that speak his language and he can communicate with...we do not speak Mandarin, nor do we even look familiar with our white skin, our blond and brown hair, blue and green eyes...I pray and pray that he finds comfort within our family and that the Lord provides all that we ALL need for this life-altering transition.

"Finding the Missing Pieces: Helping Adopted Children Cope with Grief and Loss" The loss of his parents at around the age of 3...I am sure he remembers this because people usually remember traumatic events in our lives...Just imagine being 3 years old, turning around and your parents being gone, and then the police pick you up and take you to an orphanage...that is the story we have been given...that's it..I choose to believe that at that time it was becoming obvious to his parents that he was little or they realized that he was "different" and then they weren't sure they could provide for all of his needs, so they did what they thought was best for him...I can not imagine making that decision...I pray for his parents...that is what happens in China...they are not allowed to place their children for adoption, they must abandon them...I look at my 3 boys here, and think back when they were that age...I just cannot imagine that...He has lost so many things in his 9 years of life, he has seen caregivers come and go, children in the orphanage come and go, his foster family, his other foster family, and I pray we can give him all that he needs to cope with all that has happened. I love him so much and pray for protection of his heart...

"With Eyes Wide Open: A Preparation Guide to International Adoption" - another one about being a multi cultural family and preparing yourself and your family

We're Home! Now What! For Parents of Newly Adopted School Aged Children." - introducing your school aged child into a whole new world.